Saturday, November 6, 2010

A tale of Mary Reilly's tummy take 1

A few months ago Mary Reilly has been complaining about her tummy hurting and she was tired. -When a 2 year old tells you she is tired and wants to go to bed....that's not normal! Along with that she has been having diarrhea off and on for about a year...about 2 to 3 times a month....When she was staying at my parents house while Ladson and I were in Puerto Rico my mom noticed she was having white poop (I know it's gross) After I got back from vacation I took her to the doctor's. They told me she might be constipated and gave me something for that. The doctor told me every kid goes through spouts of diarrhea. I gave her the laxative and we were sick for 3 days after. They told me she needed to be on the laxative for 3 months...I only gave it to her once. There is no way this girl is constipated if she goes everyday at the same time. When I was going to South Carolina the last time she started to have the same thing. Diarrhea, white poop, and now vomiting. I knew this was not normal so I took her to the doctor's down there and they told me it needs to run it's course and not to worry.
I didn't like what the doctor said in SC so when we got back to Maryland I took her to her normal doctor. I told them I wasn't leaving until we looked into this further. She ordered a blood test, stool sample, and ultrasound of her abdomen. We did everything that day except the ultrasound. The ultrasound we did last Saturday. Mary Reilly was excellent! She stayed so still while the lady looked at her belly. We even got to listen to all the noises her tummy makes.
This past Thursday I received a call from her doctor. All the test came back normal except her ultrasound. The radiologist said she has mobile gallstones. The doctor is concerned because usually a 2 year old doesn't get gallstones. She then told me she this is a symptom of cystic fibrosis! WHAT?!? No one in my family or Ladson's has this disease. She is not having any breathing problems and only had bronchitis once or maybe twice.
I am waiting on the lady to call me back about making an appointment for a sweat chloride test. (That's the cystic fibrosis test) When we get this test back I will write more. (I KNOW this test will be normal!) We see the ped GI doctor on Nov 18.

No comments: